Sexual Relationships Advice
Dating and intimacy in older age
Growing old in a marriage or taking on a new relationship later in life can be exciting and rewarding, but it can also give rise to many questions. What kind of relationship and sex advice is most important for seniors? Is it possible to have a fulfilling sex life in old age? How does intimacy change as we get older? Our sexual health experts in Toronto answer all these questions to help people experience safe and satisfying love lives and intimacy at any age.
Can a 70 year old be sexually active?
We are asked this question often, particularly as either the man or woman in a relationship loses the interest or capacity to make love.
As with other physical and mental activities the ability to maintain an active sex life can be sustained through continual activity. In fact some older couples say their lovemaking becomes more satisfying as they age.
However, older couples frequently report challenges, most of which can be addressed.
Common challenges amongst older couples
One survey amongst Americans reported that approximately 50% of those who were sexually active had at least one issue with their sexual health. For women, the most common issues were low libido (43%), difficulty becoming lubricated (39%), and difficulty achieving orgasm (34%). Men most commonly experienced erectile dysfunction (37%), and 14% of all men took medication or supplements to improve their sexual function.
Articles about dating & sex for mature couples
- Secrets to Achieve the Perfect OrgasmThe secret to giving and getting a powerful orgasm is, in a phrase, take it slow. There is no need to be in a hurry because taking time allows the body to build up energy that can then be released in a burst of energy, similar to a sneeze. Many research studies have shown that […]
- Dating Over 40: Do I need REALLY to use protection?When I taught sex ed, workshops were almost always designed for college students and young adults. You would think that people stopped asking questions about their bodies the minute they turned 25! In reality, this is far from the case. Safe sex for older adults is a real issue. A recently divorced friend of mine summed […]
- Sex is a relationship cleanser“Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is a bicycle repair kit,” so said Billy Connolly, the Scottish comedian. And like bicycle tires, marriages often need some repairing. Research proves that sexual intimacy helps people stay healthy. Just like one needs to eat foods that are nutritious and exercise everyone also needs to […]
- Age Difference Should Not Stop LoveIf you’ve ever dated someone significantly older or younger, you’re probably used to the questions. Are they in it for the right reasons? Can you keep up with each others’ physical needs? Can this relationship really work in the long term? Those questions can only be answered with honest and open communication between each individual […]
- Too Old To Fall In Love? These Couples Prove Age Is No Limit to IntimacyDo you have to be a teenager or twenty-something to find romance? Many of the budding romances we see on screen, in books, or in songs feature young love. But in reality there’s no age limit for love. There are many more stories that often don’t get told. If you ask the couples below, they […]